Thursday 3 January 2013

East Hampshire from top to bottom



Red-breasted Goose (Branta ruficollis) and
Dark-bellied Brent Goose (Branta bernicla bernicla)
With a free afternoon and a twitch feeling I was very temped to try and tidy up Divers and Grebes for the year list on Hayling Island today, particularly since a RN Grebe was present in Chi harbour and visible from Sandy Point. In the end however I opted to pop up north for the Waxwings near North camp station. I could see them in the trees as I arrived on site and had a quick check of the map to confirm that both they and I were inside Hampshire. No problem there but they were berry flicking distance from the border. I’d hardly parked when they flew off into Surrey and out of site, so not exactly my most satisfying Waxwing experience but they are on the year list none the less. At this point it was only 14:05 so I made a slightly out of character decision to find out that it only takes around 45min to get from North Camp to Farlington Marshes! This was not green birding but all the same by 16:00 I’d located the target Red-breasted Goose on the east side of the marsh and picked up Avocet among other  year ticks on the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment