Thursday 5 January 2012

Patchlist 2012 - 5th January


I had my first real chance so far this year to visit my patch for a couple of hours, the main goal was the wintering Green Sandpiper that may prove to be a key bird. Hopefully waders won’t be hard to come by in the spring but I have not really birded the Kingsley pits before in migration seasons so its all new, which is nice. The Green Sand was present and also of note was a Cormorant and a good count of 270 Black-headed Gulls on the north pit with one Common Gull. Gulls seem to use this pit most when it’s windy as a place to shelter, a similar thing was happening in the autumn with a wider variety of species. Anyway they never seem to roost here overnight but I have high hopes of getting 6-7 gull species here over the year.

No comments:

Post a Comment