Sunday 8 January 2012

Patchlist 2012 - 7th January


I gave the patch its first proper bash today and concentrated on the sand pits and the farmland. No sign of the Wigeon that was around after Christmas which was a pity. Grey wagtail was reasonable and saves me worrying about that one. Otherwise things were very quiet particularly out on the farmland where I hoped i'd bump into a few finches, maybe there will be some when winter starts! It seemed quite spring like at times and I had a drumming Great-spotted Woodpecker.

Late afternoon things stepped up a gear when I realised I could scan Sleaford Reservoir FROM my patch, though this small reservoir does not fall within it. Making full use of the in, over or from rule I thought it may be good for a Pochard or alike. I was very pleased to pick up a drake Goosander on here, Brilliant!!! This is a scarce bird locally and an unexpected bonus for the patch. There are two small sections of heathland on my patch that I don’t know well but that I planned to target for Woodlark in the spring. Shortly after the Goosander I was back on my bike when I flushed three birds from the edge of a ploughed field at Malthouse Farm, before I had dismounted there calls gave them away as Woodlark, excellent.

No comments:

Post a Comment